DUCK AND FOIE GRAS SALAD
1 magret duck breast (2 sides) separated
Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 shallot, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon walnut oil (or substitute additional vegetable oil)
1 chicken liver
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 ounces raw foie gras, cut into 1-ounce slices
1 pound raw spinach leaves, washed and dried
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put duck breasts, skin-side up, in an ovenproof pan just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. Duck will be quite rare, but will continue to cook during resting. Remove from pan and let rest 10 minutes. Pour off the fat. Turn off oven.
3. Over medium heat, deglaze pan with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, until liquid is nearly evaporated. About 2 minutes. Deglaze again with water. And bring to a boil, stirring well. Remove pan from heat and set aside. These are the Duck Pan Juices.
4. For the vinaigrette, whisk together shallot and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil(s) until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
5. In a small frying pan saute chicken liver in butter until pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Smash chicken liver using a fork and then whisk into the vinaigrette. Reserve.
6. In a small, frying pan, saute foie gras over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side. Remove foie gras and deglaze pan with remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar. Bring to a boil, cook 30 seconds, and remove from heat. These are Foie Gras Pan Juices.
7. Toss spinach with vinaigrette. Adjust seasonings to taste. Place dressed spinach in the still warm, but turned-off oven until spinach leaves begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Remove skin from duck breasts and slice meat thinly across the grain.
8. Divide spinach among 4 plates. Arrange duck slices on top of spinach to one side and drizzle with Duck Pan Juices. Arrange foie gras on top of spinach to the other side and drizzle with Foie Gars Pan Juices. Serve immediately.